Did you know that 31 million Americans have low-back pain at any given time? Additionally, according to the American Chiropractic Association website, as much as 80% of the American population will experience a back problem at some time in their lives. Given statistics like these, it’s possible that you may need a chiropractor one day.
How can you find a chiropractor who can help you get rid of pain, get healthy and stay that way? Whether you’re looking for a chiropractor in a big city such as
, or a professional located in a small town, here are 5 tips to help you find the right chiropractic care provider for you: Chicago
1. Get a referral. Ask friends and family who they use. What do they think of the chiropractor they use? What does your friend like about the doctor, and what don’t they like? If you don’t know anyone who is seeing a chiropractor in your area, you may also consider searching online for reviews and feedback.
2. What are the doctor’s credentials and specialties? Chiropractors are Doctors of Chiropractic and have the initial DC after their names. Make sure he or she is licensed in your state. Also, chiropractors often have specialties. They can focus on sports medicine, pediatrics, nutrition, acupuncture and more. They may also provide massage therapy and aromatherapy.
3. Do your homework. Visit the American Chiropractic Association website at www.acatoday.org and Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Board at www.fclb.org. Your insurance company’s website may have a list of chiropractic care professionals you can use. You can also find a good deal of information by visiting the chiropractor’s website.
4. Visit the office. Consider someone who is conveniently located so that you can return as needed. If you are seeing health improvement, you’re probably going to want to return for additional treatment. Also, is there public transportation or parking available? Does the office have the equipment you’ll need to get better? You’ll find that many doctors of chiropractic offer free initial consultations so you can find out if you want to work with them.
5. Trust your instincts. Ultimately, choosing a chiropractor is a personal choice. Ask yourself, are you comfortable with him or her? Once you have your initial consultation with the chiropractor, you can tell whether or not he or she is the right professional for you. That professional will help you to move from injury to health and work with you to keep you healthy.